The New Course is often regarded as the oldest "new" course in the world. A classic links course with undulating fairways and delightfully challenging greens, it was set out in 1895 by Old Tom Morris. Named the New to differentiate it from the original course at the Links which
became the Old Course, the course remains one of the finest examples of Morris'
work to be found anywhere.The construction of the New Course was paid for by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, which engaged B Hall Blyth, an Edinburgh civil engineer, to plan the New
Course, and entrusted the layout to Morris and his right-hand man David Honeyman.
The result is a classic links course which is a first class golfing challenge. The course has the traditional out and back layout, with the 18th green just to the right of the first tee. It also has, in the great St Andrews tradition, shared fairways and even a double green at the 3rd and 15th holes. If the New was situated next to any other course in the world than the Old its star would have shone with a far greater degree of brilliance.